After more than a year of no racing …
Velocity members finally got a chance over the past couple of weeks to test themselves against local and national racers.
BMX National Championships
Calgary was able to host the 2021 National BMX Championships on August 28 after last year’s cancellation.
Velocity was well represented on the podiums. Big congratulations to the following racers:
- Ethan Hunter – 3rd place in the Challenge Men – 15 year old division
- Liam Hunter – 3rd place in the Cruiser Men – 12 year old & under division
- Brad Streadwick – 2nd place in the Cruiser Men – 50+ division (and 1st(!) place in the 45-49 division)
From a racing/riding field of hundreds of men and women, Velocity again rose to the top in almost every division, with podiums and top 10 placings.
- Kim Walter – 1st place in the 100km Overall Women’s category (and defending her title from the 2019 edition!)
- Mateusz Siarka – 8th place in the 100km Overall Men’s category (in his first race after about 15 years!)
- Elka Strohschein – 2nd place in the 100km Women’s 50-59 category
- Brian Countryman – 1st place in the 100km Men’s 60-69 category
- Kendal Seaton – 5th place in the 100km Men’s 50-59 category
- Arneil Delasan – 7th place in the 100km Men’s 40-49 category
And I need to send out an honourable mention to Nikoo Najand for finishing 14th in the Overall Women’s category – Velocity’s second-best women’s result after Kim’s win. This was Nikoo’s first ever “race.” We hope to see more action from her in future events!
Wednesday Hill Circuit Night
The daylight and temperatures are sinking a little, but we’ve still got our Wednesday night city hill circuit running until at least the end of September.
Register for this ride on the form >>>HERE<<< by noon Wednesday this week.
Saturday Club Ride
I’m going to be out-of-town this weekend and part of next week. We’ll need at least one person to officially lead our Saturday ride this weekend. Please indicate for us on the sign-up form if that can be you.
This route is similar to last Saturday’s route, but rides in the opposite direction with a few deviations to remove some left-hand turns:
It’s surprising how different the roads can feel when you ride them in the opposite direction!
Save the link and/or download it to your GPS bike computer.
Pre-register by 8:30am Saturday morning for the ride >>>HERE<<<
Monday Track Night Paused Next Week
Without Coach Kevin available next Monday, we’ll pause the session. If weather continues to permit, our next track night will be September 27.
Roger’s Harvest Ride September 26
Keep your calendar open for Sunday, September 26, when we’re planning to hold our annual Harvest Ride in memory of long-time club member Roger Tetrault. It’ll be a trail ride on ‘cross and mountain bikes leaving from the Waskahegan Staging Area. More details will be coming next week.
This is a recovery ride for me today. You know, just in case I’m a little slower on the hills.Unknown